Saturday, November 7, 2009

Dude: When she says "boots", she doesn't mean galoshes


We here at Lottay.com constantly test our web site with real users. It's how we help decide what to do, what features to add, what services to provide. (Do you want to be a Lottay.com tester? Email me.)

Recently in San Francisco, we were testing a set of features with a man in his early 30s. He was a really nice guy, a decent man, and sort of a dude, if you know what I mean.

While working on a Lottay gift for his wife on our web site, he mentioned that it was their wedding anniversary. We congratulated him and asked him what he thought she wanted as a gift.

"Black boots," he replied.

We nodded and said, "Well, why don't you go ahead and make her gift toward 'black boots'? She'll love it."

He then proceeded to finish creating her Lottay gift. His gift on Lottay.com said, "Honey, here's $35 toward black boots."

~ cringe ~

I remember thinking to myself: "Oh god, I hope he remains married after this ..."

Of course he meant well. Heck, he was trying to give his wife what she wanted.

But, see, fellas, when your woman tells you that she wants a pair of black boots for her anniversary gift, she doesn't mean these.

She means these. Or something more in that category, if not that astronomical price.

I admit: I once gave my wife a set of white athletic socks for a gift. Nineteen years later, I am still paying for that. Or, as my better half says, Once a husband-in-training, always a husband-in-training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your gift of wit and wisdom.